Recipe adapted from Austrian Specialties*
Roughly 1 Kilo / 2 pounds beef for roasting
4 medium onions
2 T olive or canola oil
2 T hot paprika
1 T vinegar
750 ml / 3 cups (approximately) beef stock
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp cumin
1 more cloves garlic, crushed
2 T tomato paste
- Cut beef into large chunks. Peel the onions and chop them -- not too large.
- Heat oil in a large pot and saute onions slowly till they’re golden. Sprinkle with paprika, add vinegar and several tablespoons of beef stock.
- Add cubed meat and seasonings. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, adding stock as necessary to keep it moist and covered with stock.
- When the meat is tender, add the remaining stock, tomato paste and the last garlic clove. Simmer 10 more minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serves 4 if they like it and 10 if they don't.
- If you’re going to be busy, you can add all the stock at once, but you still have to stir it and the problem is that when the beef is perfectly done you may have too much liquid in there so you have to continue to cook it...
- This is one of those dishes that improves with time. Be sure to make enough to have leftovers!
* This is a small recipe book published for tourists. It has no date of publication on it, but I bought it in 2002.