Pages

08 February 2010

Adopt a Blogger

Kristin at Dine and Dish sponsors a program called “Adopt a Blogger”, in which experienced bloggers act as mentors to newer bloggers. The idea is for the new blogger to be able to take advantage of the the experience and expertise of the experienced blogger. In this way we build communities and pass on what we've learned.


What a great idea! Since my blog is only 6 months old, and I have a lot to learn, I signed up as a new blogger. I now have my assigned mentor, and have the great pleasure to introduce her to you.


I am so doing the happy dance here!


This blogger is very well known to you, I think, as an amazing baker and photographer and writer of one of my favorite blogs. I know that I've referred to her blog often in trying to improve my photography. I drool over each and every one of her recipes and I use her recipe for pie crust, because it's just like my grandmother made. I have read her blog since I first started reading blogs. I made one of her recipes (adapted, of course, because that's what I do...), and it has been one of my most popular posts. Now I have the opportunity to pick her brain directly about blogging and photography and baking and cooking. WOWIEZOWIE am I excited!


Have you guessed who it is yet? I'm even more excited because this is someone who has also moved from her native country to another one with different language and culture. She is clearly at home in her new country (not so new, really―she's been there a long time, but still...), so I think she can help me juggle the different 'parts' of my blog to make them more coherent.


All this and it seems that she can make macarons in her sleep.


NOW do you know who it is?


Are you sitting down?



My blogging mentor is none other than Tartelette.



I know.



I'm thrilled!


20 comments:

pam said...

I signed up for this when I first started blogging, it was wonderful.

Bob said...

I love the idea of this event, I signed up to be a sponsor but she hasn't given me a newbie yet.

Kate said...

Whoa girl....you won the lottery.

I did this for the first two years and it was not a good experience for me at all. I was the mentor and both blogs I was assigned to mentor disappeared almost as soon as the matches went up. It was disappointing to me. I have been gun shy about it ever since and that's probably not the best thing, is it?

Good luck to you! I like what I see already.

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

You go girl!!!! I'm glad your all excited!
Women mentoring women...can't get any better then that! Great idea...
xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Mardi Michels said...

OMG I AM SOOOOOOOOO ENVIOUS!!!! Where do I sign up???

Maggie said...

I've not heard of this before but it does sound very interesting. Guess you fell as if you've won the Eurolottery, n'est pas? You sound very happy, which is great.
~Maggie~

Barbara said...

Whohoo! How lucky can you get? Tartelette! I love her blog! And she's a perfect match for you, Kate. Although I really think you are a very experienced blogger.

This is the first I have ever heard of Adopt a Blogger. I don't know that if after 3 years I am still considered "new". I feel like I am and learn new things every day.

La Table De Nana said...

I am happy for you! I can tell it's a passion:) And you are a lucky girl to be paired with Tartelette..she seems so nice too..Just made macarons w/ a group:) Her photos are lovely you are right..You are a great match..Have fun!

I'll be watching:)

Mowielicious said...

That's such a great concept - I wish I had one when I started out!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

What a great idea. Congratulations. I sure could have used some help when I started and still need it from time to time. What a kind and generous thing to do.

I would be doing the happy dance too if Tartelette was my mentor . You've been assigned to one of the best, that's for sure.
Sam

Denise said...

Kate - Thanks for stopping by Creative Kitchen! I replied back to you in my comment section.

Congratulations on your new mentor! Wow...Tartelette!! I love her blog and photos.

I'm also getting ready to celebrate my 6 month "blogoversary." It is quite exciting. And I still have so much to learn.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Wow - congratulations! I signed up for a blog mentor when I started almost a year ago, but I was never contacted by anyone :(.

Oh well, what can you do?
;)
ButterYum

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Oh my gosh, that is so very exciting! I'm very happy for you and can't wait to see what you learn and pass along to the rest of us ;)

Kim said...

How exciting! Sounds like a lot of fun and great ideas will be coming your way. Can't wait.

2 Stews said...

Wow Kate! I just finished making her macarons. I read and studied her tutorial and took my last pic about 10 minutes ago! Serendipity I'd say!

Now maybe you'll have to mentor me ;-)

Can't wait to hear all about it!

Diane

Kate at Serendipity said...

You know, what I see here in these responses is a really exciting thing. Bob is interested in being a mentor, Pam has already participated and Kate has too. Several people here also have experience, and others are looking for help. Maybe we can mentor each other?

I don't think you have to be an 'expert' (whatever that is) to mentor someone. You just have to know something or know how to do something they want to know or know how to do.

I would be thrilled if there's anything I know (or seem to!) that I could share with anyone. So I'll just say here that if anyone wants to contact me for help or advice or just to chat I'd love it. My email is in my profile.

Anyone else?

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Kate, you are one generous and caring woman. You are also a lucky one. You have a great sponsor.

It is because you are the greatest that I have entrusted you with something equally as great at my blog. I will be in hiding for the next few months. Please check it out.

Kitchen Butterfly said...

I so wanted to do this....but it seems as though I contacted Kristin too early, before this 4th round and I kept waiting to hear something back about when it would start again but......

Congrats anyway. Maybe I'll sign up to be adopted next round!!!

I ♥ Tartelette!

Jane said...

Wow, Kate!! You hate hit the baking, pastry, food-styling, and food-photography mentoring JACKPOT!!! It's kind of like wanting to write a novel and being paired with a Nobel Prize winner in literature for advice. You are such a lucky, lucky bloggin' girl, Kate. I am chartreuse with envy (I'm absolutely glowing chartreuse right this minute!). Maybe you will be able to share some of her advice in your posts, here and there?

I love your blog, and I'm thrilled for you! :)

Jane

Pei-Lin said...

Oh!! This sounds all so exciting!! I'm so happy for you!! Keep us posted on this yea?

Happy Lunar New Year & Valentine's!!