I don’t know about you, but about this time of year I start to look for things that remind me of summer, of sunshine, of warmth. I start to pull out things that I put up or froze or saved during the summer.
One of the things that I save in the summer is blueberries. I love their intense color and the lovely flavor they bring to things. Also, they make my tongue blue, which is always a nice thing.
When they’re ripe and cheap, I buy a lot of them. I freeze them on a cookie sheet and then put them in ziploc bags in the freezer. Then, when the winter is entrenched, I pull them out and make this treat.
Today, for the first time, the air has that warm edge that presages springtime. We still have snow on the ground, but I can see patches of green (and mud brown) poking through. I long for warm sun, for ripe fruits, for blueberry weather. Also, I seem to have picked up a little bug and I want something that feels healthy and still lets me spoil myself.
Luckily, I have just the thing. Full of the goodness of blueberries with the added zip of yogurt, this is just what I wanted today. The photos were rushed because it was starting to melt and I wanted to get my blue tongue as soon as possible. Heh, heh. Charming.
Although this would make a perfect light dessert, I always think of it as a late morning snack, something for those days like today when my breakfast just doesn't stick with me. I’m almost embarrassed to write this as a recipe, it’s so easy. But you need to have this. You need to make this. So here it is:
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- Put all ingredients in a small food processor or a blender and blitz.
- That’s it. Enjoy!
Enough for one
- I used lowfat yogurt because that’s what I have. I think this would be awesome with a greek yogurt.
- I have a small food processor that I use for this. It’s easier to clean than the big one.
- It probably doesn’t need the maple syrup, but I like that little earthy maple taste.
- You might want to brush your teeth after you eat this, ‘cause while a blue tongue might be cute, blue teeth are...ummm...not.